Thursday, February 12, 2009

Xcalacoco, Punta Bete, part two.

The names, Frederico, Juanito's, Pancho's, Ricardo's, Punta Bete, Xcalacoco beach and other's have been applied to this strip through the years. Much has changed with time but some small business's still survive and families still live on their own land. Paradise Point has come and gone, The Fives have arrived, Ikal del Mar rents shade and beach from Juanito's, Negro's is there and new construction is marching forward. These photos are just a few of the many that I took during various stays there over the years.




Juan and his boy during his 15th birthday party.


Xcala-basil for pasta.



Palapa three, or as I called it, home.


Bob and Stephen

In the rafters of the palapa.

The three amigos, most of the time.

Egon in his off to the airport attire.

The grill at Eugenes.

For the quinceanero, called pavo/pollo.

The kids take over my digs.

Pasky and Egon

Juan serving the pavo pollo.


Panchita visits old friends.

Tacho holding sway.


Happy birthday Lucy.






The winter home.




My new friends from Canada.

Hosting the colors in the restaurant.

Water colors by "Cedar."
A view from the dock.

Grilling in the palapa.




Hello Bob.......

1 comment:

Merlyn888 said...

Bueno...

I just ran across your web site while looking for something else, and after looking at your pictures, my eyes have filled with tears.

My name is Melissa. My parents own(use to own) Paradise Point Resort down the beach from Frederico's, next to Rose & Ricardo's.

Those pictures just brought back a flood of memories for me that I have almost forgotten. Back when we moved down there in 1996 it really was something. To me it was heaven on earth. It was the answer to every problem, the calm to every stress and after 2 of Frederico's margarita's nothing in the whole world mattered.

I spent many weeks down there, usually over Christmas, New Years & Easter with my folks. My most fond memories were of the first few years when Frederico's was still around, no big hotels were built yet, and places like Ikal Del Mar weren't even thought to become a reality. No one would ever want to come in and wreck such a pristine place on this planet.

I met so many great people from all around the world down there. Pam, Kai Uwa Timm (Pink), Frank, Larry, Brian, Kelly, and I'm sure many more that I can no longer remember.

The last time I saw Punta Bete AKA Xcalacoco was in January of 2009. I vowed to never return after that visit. There is almost nothing left of the heaven on earth I once cherished with my whole heart & soul. Everyone that could come in and wreck it, has. I have pictures of caterpillars hired by Ikal in the ocean tearing out the rock that protected the beach. I sat and watched as another hotel construction crew drove right over a sea turtle nesting site, right next to a sign that said they were building to help protect the area & give back to the earth.

I am so very happy to have seen your site and thank you a great deal for bringing back all of my fond memories. I have so many pictures myself of those times, 1996 to 2009.

Bless you and your travels, may all of them include the sun shining down upon you with the wind at your back my friend!

Melissa Breen
USA, MN